The Ghouls of Hollow Mountain


"It's understandable that you'd wish to know more of the Ghouls of Hollow Mountain. I've heard it said they were once men of the Sinian Empire, fallen to grief and insanity amongst the ruins of their benighted nation. Others tell that they are scions of the ancient Morgaunt courts and that they have been unhinged since madness was new. Still others say they are but monsters from far Nygorach, and monsters need no explanation.
But none of that truly matters. There are only three things you need to know about the Ghouls of Hollow Mountain; their countenance is terrifying, their hunger is insatiable, and they'll be at the town walls within the hour."
 - Herwig Stocker, delicious resident of Steepacre


This blog post marks an important milestone for my Flesh Eater Court of Hollow Mountain; I've finished the bulk of my infantry for my initial force. That's a total of 30 Ghouls and 3 Crypt Horrors. I'm sure I'll add more of both over the coming months, but I have at least reached a good starting point.

I deliberated for a very long time over what skin tones to use for this force. In the end I had a flash of inspiration and went for a blue-grey coupled with dirty white hair. This drew heavy influence from the Morlocks, as seen in the 1960 film version of H.G. Wells' 'The Time Machine'. I used to find this film and these creatures both fascinating and terrifying as a child, so it seemed like a good choice.

This force is my first proper adventure with Citadel Contrast paints and I must say that I'm very impressed! It made everything so quick to paint! The skin was simply Contrast Space Wolves Grey over a Grey Seer spray undercoat, with a little bit of Fenrisian Grey to do the very prominent highlights on the Crypt Horrors. The hair was Contrast Apothecary White with Corax White as a highlight. The bones were achieved with a single coat of Contrast Skeleton Horde.

With the basing I've gone for the same "underground" effect as on my Uncharnel. I also spent a lot of time thinking about what plants - if any - would go on the bases. In the end I settled for a mixture of light pink and violet moss (from Green Stuff World) to give the impression of strange underground cave plants eking out an existence in a lightless subterranean world.

That's it for today. More Flesh Eater Courts and Night Haunt to come again from me in the near future.

1 comment:

  1. That quote is hilarious! Nice post and nicely coming along, looking forward to seeing a few more of the big guys

    ReplyDelete